Information about Abortion Referrals in Yukon:
In Whitehorse, a family doctor can refer patients to the physician who performs abortions.
Women without a family physician and who require a doctor’s referral for a therapeutic abortion can contact Klondike Medical Clinic at 668-4046 or Whitehorse Medical Clinic at 393-6646 to make an appointment with a doctor.
Women will be seen by a doctor within two working days and arrangements will be made through the clinic for an ultrasound and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) testing. At the same time, an appointment will be made for the woman with the physician providing the service.
Women, caregivers or other health care workers can call either of the two numbers to see a doctor for the purpose of a therapeutic abortion referral for themselves or for a client.
Outside of Whitehorse, a family doctor or rural nurse practitioner can refer patients to the physician in Whitehorse who performs abortions OR women can call either of the two clinics as well. Travel costs are covered for medical procedures.
Klondyke Medical Clinic 668-4046
Whitehorse Medical Clinic 393-6646
Information about the Abortion:
- If the woman is 12 weeks or less into her pregnancy, the abortion is done at Whitehorse General Hospital. If the woman is over 12 weeks but under 20 weeks into her pregnancy, she is sent outside the territory to Vancouver, Edmonton or Calgary.
- The procedure is done on a day surgery basis at Whitehorse General Hospital. A surgical procedure, D & E (dilation and evacuation) is done.
- The whole process takes about four days, including pre- and post op care. Before the abortion, the patient undergoes STI testing and contraception counselling and arrangements are made for follow up. After the surgery, the patient is monitored by the physician who performed the surgery for 24 hours for any complications such as bleeding. Further follow up care is done by the family doctor or nurse practitioner who made the referral.
- Travel costs to go to Whitehorse or outside the territory for an abortion are covered for Yukoners with valid medical coverage. The rural nurse practitioner or family doctor will contact the Yukon Health Care Insurance Plan or for a status First Nations patient, Non-insured Health Benefits, to arrange travel subsidies.
- At this time, only surgical abortions are done in the Yukon.
Information About Pregnancy Options:
|Service Provider||Service & Link to more information (if available)||Whitehorse||Toll Free||Extention||Office Hours||Description|
|Other||Medical Clinics (Doctors)||See Medical Clinics page||Referral required by family doctor or community health centre|
|YG||Yukon Communicable Disease Control||(867) 667-8323||1-800-661-0408||8323||
By appointment only:
|Will refer client to a family physician first|
|First Nation||Kwanlin Dun Health and Wellness Centre (First Nation)||(867) 668-7289||n/a||n/a||Mon - Fri:
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
(closed for lunch
from 12:00pm to 1:00pm)
|Provide Depo shots, free Emergency birth control, condoms, general information.|
|YG||Community Health Centres||See CHC page|
|YG||Whitehorse Health Centre||(867) 667-8864||1-800-661-0408||8864||Mon - Fri:
8:00am to 5:00pm
|Will refer client to a family physician|
|NGO||Many Rivers Counselling||(867) 667-2970||Collect calls accepted||n/a||Mon - Fri:
|Counselling support services for all Yukon communities.
Offices located in:
Whitehorse, Dawson City, Haines Junction, and Watson Lake